Monday, June 21, 2010

the nerdy mermaid







Well, here it is. Proof for all the world to see that I, Andrea Boerem, did dress up as a mermaid, ride the subway in said mermaid outfit, and march in the Coney Island Mermaid Parade. I'm the nerdy mermaid in glasses and polka dots. I gotta say, wearing fins made me feel quite mermaid-chic.

One of my fellow mermaids is blessed with a boyfriend who will do just about anything on a dare, and who consented to dress up as our mermaid butler and carry the cookies we baked. I think he kinda makes the group, don't you?

And look at how lovely my fellow mermaids are!! Doesn't Reagan look like Marilyn Monroe?

What an experience! What a very lot of drunk guys yelling "Hey mermaid! Gimme a cookie to go with my beer" there were!

Aaaaaaaaaahhhh. Good memories. Good memories.

p.s. Big thank-you to Jake for taking the pictures. Didn't he do a great job? When you dress up as a mermaid, photo-journalistic integrity is definitely a priority.

6 comments:

deb said...

Such adorable mermaids! You all look amazing!

I hope your mer-butler took at least one chance to say, "I'm a merman, Dad, merMAN!"

Jennie said...

What a cool experience! You look adorable!!!!

Unknown said...

I wanna come next year. I'll dress as that fat evil Ursula. What a blast. I'm waiting with BAITED breath. (couldn't help that one).

Trudy Ann said...

looks like so much fun! FYI- i lost the little tag with your email on it to RSVP for the bridal shower- so here it is. me, my mom, and grandma will be in attendance- if you need help with anything let me know! love ya!

andrea gale said...

deb- i laughed out loud. you are just fifty kinds of awesome, is all.

jennie- thanks! if you're ever in coney island in june and feel like seeing some crazies, i would totally recommend it!

marianne- i'm going to hold you to that. serio.

trudy ann- yippee! so glad i'll get to see you.

Tamara said...

I am so in love with those photos and the thought of you at the parade!!