Thursday, June 17, 2010

donuts are the only answer

Paul's having a bad day.

He worked last night, and when I woke up this morning, Paul was sitting on the chair in our bedroom, looking like he might puke, or cry, or maybe both.

Maybe I'm exaggerating. But not much.

One of the nurse practitioners is moving back to Israel and leaving Paul with the undesirable task of re-working the entire schedule. Paul tends to be a fatalist, so if things are bad, THEY ARE VERY, VERY BAD AND PROBABLY WON'T GET BETTER EVER EVER.

I, however, am not a fatalist, but an optimist, so with me if things are bad THEY ARE ONLY GOING TO BE BAD FOR A LITTLE WHILE AND YOU'LL BE SO MUCH STRONGER AFTER AND YOU SHOULD PET THE KITTIES AND HAVE A HUG AND EVERYTHING WILL BE BETTER.

We go well together.

So, Paul spent most of the morning making noises that sounded a lot like "AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH", while I made noises that sounded a lot like "AAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW".

So, we met some friends at The Donut Plant, because I always say nothing pulls you out of a downward spiral like a little refined white sugar. Our friends have this baby named Violet and she's awesome and we're totally best friends and you might be thinking why am I telling you this now but don't worry, you'll see.

So we ate our donuts and Paul started to look a little less like he might die, which made me pretty happy, only I made the mistake of asking him how he was feeling and I got an "AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHH"

This was surprising because he had the creme brulee donut and the chocolate blackout donut which is, I think, equal to like a double dose of anti-depressants, so obviously more work was needed and then Paul was all like

"LET ME HOLD THAT BABY" and he said it the way I would imagine you might say "I NEED WATER OR I WILL DIE" and Jen magnanimously handed over Violet, who promptly grabbed Paul's beard and began cooing.

It worked like a charm. After a few minutes of tossing a squealing Violet up in the air and after a large pepperoni and sausage pizza and a trip to Murray's Cheese Shop, things seem to be looking up for Paul.

I'm thinking of asking Jen if we could hire Violet on retainer. You never know when you might need a cute baby to cuddle.

4 comments:

redstarmama said...

YOU ARE KILLING ME! Donut Plant?! Murray's?! Hanging out with you and Paul?! I could almost taste that creme brulee loveliness.

I'm glad Paul was consoled by such delectable food and by an equally (I assume) delectable baby. You are a good wife to say "Awwwww" when he says "Arrrrrgh!"

Andersons said...

This is so dead on! Food and babies cures everything. Except for maybe Hepatitis.

And Jenn's right...props to you for being sympathetic! My general response is, "Wah."

andrea gale said...

redstarmama- i know, i almost texted you while we were out and then i thought that might be too mean. we got this sheep milk gouda called "ewephoria" and it is incredible.

andersons- you had me laughing out loud, there. hepatitis requires a little more than just food and babies. there i go, laughing out loud again.

Jen Bennion said...

I'm happy to loan my girl to you anytime cheering up is in order :)