Tuesday, May 4, 2010

a good nine years



Nine years ago, I woke up and it was my wedding day.

I had ramen noodles for breakfast and it was really beautiful outside which I told myself was because the universe was celebrating my impending nuptials and I took a nap and when I drove to my hair appointment I listened to Beck's Midnight Vultures.

And I walked down the aisle and Paul was crying and I was laughing and later, after rings and the cake that wasn't mine and dancing we crammed me and my enormous dress into the cab of Paul's truck and we drove home and it was our home, which was weird in a nice way.

Nine years later, the home is still ours, and ours in a nice way and it no longer is weird, even though this home is about three thousand miles away from the first one.

And while I am in no way where I thought I would be nine years after that day (kids? house? what else is grown-up-ish that I don't have?), I am entirely certain that I am exactly where I should be, and I am with exactly who I should be with.

Did I say that I am in no way where I thought I would be in nine years? I guess that's true, with one important exception:

I knew, knew beyond the shadow of a doubt, that I would love being married.

And I was right.

7 comments:

redstarmama said...

Happy 9 Years and Happy Cinco de Mayo! I have to agree with you: even if you don't have all of those grown-up-ish things yet, you are totally where you should be, and with the right guy. Except I can't stop thinking that where you both should be is 3,000 miles closer to my house.

Here's wishing a perfect anniversary to 2 of my absolute favorite people in the whole world!

Miggy said...

Congratulations you crazy kids.

Col said...

You guys are such a great family. Congrats on nine years!

Kelly DeBie said...

Congratulations to you both!!!

andrea gale said...

thanks, guys!!! we love you!!

skt said...

Cute photo and congrats.

Corey and Amy said...

I ALWAYS remember your anniversary and wish you a happy one in my head every year. It's Cinco De Mayo! I remember being googoogaga over the decorations, cake, and perfect princess dress.