I am in most desperate need of your assistance.
I need to act out.
And I don't know how.
At all.
See, in my psych class we have this extra credit project and of course, OF COURSE, it involves making a complete fool out of myself. Which in theory I love, but when pressed, I hate.
We are assigned to select any socially unexpected behavior, like facing the wrong way in an elevator or singing at the top of your lungs in the grocery store, and to then perform said behavior while an amused friend pretends to not be a friend and records the reactions of the surrounding lab rats.
Doesn't that sound like fun? I think it sounds like fun and I start thinking of ideas and then I remember that I will need to actually DO these things and then it doesn't sound like fun anymore and I am possessed with a sudden desire to curl up in the fetal position.
So, please. Please. PLEASE. Help me. Give me a suggestion, okay? Something that will help me get an A in my psych class, and not something that will land me in the psych ward.
Also I need the idea by tomorrow.
Morning.
Uh.......thanks.
5 comments:
my roommate did this assignment last year! she dressed gothic for a day... it was pretty entertaining...
I once dressed as a cat and then knocked on someone's door. When that person opened the door I walked inside purring and rubbing up against their furniture. Of course they were like "huh?" Then a minute later my roommates came by {yes I was in college} knocked on the same door and asked "Have you guys seen our cat? I think we lost her?"
Two notes about this idea:
1) It was in Provo--so I felt pretty safe walking into random dudes apartments.
2) This idea came from some guy friends who had done the same thing with a dog costume. They did this to girls they wanted to get to know/impress with their humor. I think it works much better for guys.
Funny... my psych teacher in high school had us do the same thing. And EVERY time I see someone doing something weird in NYC I think to myself, "Oh, they must be in a psych class conducting an experiment." I'm probably right about 10% of the time.
Anyway, one of my favorites from class was greeting people with "Merry Christmas!" The grocer, your mailman, the bus driver, anyone. Instead of saying the usual, "thanks bye!" or "have a good day" wish them a happy holiday.
You could also walk around the neighborhood with your cat on a leash. But then again, I've seen that before! There's not very much "weird" stuff you can't encounter in the good old NY.
I'm going to put Justin on this assignment. He's the king of intentional social awkwardness. I'll be texting you later.
Justin came home in a less than pleasant frame of mind, and I refrained from introducing the subject to him, out of prudence and a concern for your safety. You never know what he could come up with...
Post a Comment