Friday, April 23, 2010

gym showers are gross

I took my first gym shower yesterday.

I know, I know, I was all like "THAT'SSOGROSSIWILLNEVERDOTHAT", but I had to babysit right after class, and I didn't want to have to go back, so after a little hyperventilating, I decided it just made more sense to shower and get ready there.

Not being at all sure of the proper protocol, it took me a little time to figure out what to bring. Blow dryer? Makeup? Have a vanity table delivered?

By the time I was done with my workout, I had spent an hour giving myself a pep-talk. You can do this. You can shower in the same room as other people. It probably won't be weird. Stop thinking about the shower scene in Carrie. I bet those stories about fungal infections are just old wives tales.

Honestly, I wanted nothing so much as to stop someone, some well meaning girl, and tell her I am a gym shower newbie and ask for advice. I kept waiting for the right moment, but everyone was kinda not dressed. Call me old fashioned, but I like people I introduce myself to to have a shirt on.

I wasn't sure if the whole disrobing thing happened before or after entering the shower area, so I erred on the side of modesty and trotted into the dimly lit, shower-head lined room in my full workout regalia only there wasn't anywhere to put my clothes so then I tried to play it cool and was like "oh, good, I was really hoping I could rinse out my gym clothes. Two birds with one stone, know what I mean?"

And I took the fastest shower ever. Really, I think I showered so fast that I actually went back in time. And then I raced back to my locker, where I would gladly have changed inside my locker, were that possible.

This is not something I would like to repeat. Although I do feel a certain sense of accomplishment.

4 comments:

Side of Caitlin said...

Hahah! I also have started to shower at my gym and I had some of the same thoughts as you. Just yesterday i was amazed at how some women in the locker room can carry on full conversations totally in the nude. I am in and out of there as quick as I can.

Miriam Herm said...

old fashioned.

plus, i have never done that. and, if i can, i will never do that.

so do you bring your clothes in or not?

also, i would love to tell you about the mint fudge creme oreos, but you're being healthier, so i won't. but they are heavenly and i have to tell someone. . .

andrea gale said...

caitlin- right there with you, dude. maybe i'll look into purchasing one of those nude colored bodysuits. might be good to have in case of an emergency.

miriam- well, if you aren't the devil sitting on my shoulder, telling me about mint fudge oreos??!! in answer to your question (and i sincerely hope you never actually need to know this) change into your towel before heading to the showers. unless you really do want to rinse your gym clothes.

Miggy said...

Andrea,

Funny, funny stuff. I was a frequent gym showerer earlier this year {until I had to switch gyms...the current one not having a shower}. And here's the thing...I was the ONLY one ever taking a shower. It wasn't a very busy gym, which could explain why they closed their doors and why I'm no longer a member. Anywhoooo....I had it easy. It was just like having a really big private bathroom to myself. Good luck hanging with the naked ladies!