Friday, August 31, 2007

the long weekend

I love how giddy I feel the Friday before a long weekend. I especially love seeing all my co-workers be giddy too....it's nice to see some sweet silliness. I have that lighter than air, deleriously happy feeling that reminds me so much of being in elementary school. I have long felt like I have an inner six-year old, the part of me that wants to throw temper tantrums when my bus takes too long to come, and when a friend comes to visit and then has to leave, and when something delightful and usually quite simple makes me feel that all is right with the world. Grape soda, cheeseburgers, leaving work early, going home to California....I just want to kick up my heels with glee.

On my way home, whilst savoring my gleeful six year old feelings, I sat next to a lady who was talking on her cell phone. This is normally something that would spark an inner diatribe since I really don't like when people do that (although I am generally too chicken to actually say anything about it), but today I felt nothing but goodwill toward all men. And women talking on cell phones. I glanced over and smiled. The woman, who had just hung up, took this as a cue that I was a friendly person who might like to chat, and said something to me. Over the roar of the bus, it sounded a lot like this: "Arrgghhup tthhhhiioaw hmmm?" I'm chicken, remember? That means I'm also too chicken to say "I'm sorry, I missed that. Could you please repeat?" Instead, I nodded sweetly and like I completely understood what she had said. She responded "Ummndito mmmbbli husbands mkkhop, maybe just mine." Again, I nodded sweetly and as she got off the bus, the four words that I had actually understood "husbands....maybe just mine.." came back to me, and I realized that I had perhaps just agreed with something that I really don't agree with. What if she had said "I really think I hate all husbands, but maybe just mine?" or what if she said "Are all husbands part werewolf? Maybe just mine." Either way, I don't agree.

No comments: