Someone misquoted I Love Lucy at work the other day. I got mad. Okay, maybe not mad, but really really annoyed. Know why?? Because I have memorized way more I Love Lucy episodes than I would ever like to admit in court. Also, I would like to never have to be in court. For the record. Anyways, I'm a stickler for I Love Lucy. And some other things too, but right now I'm going to focus on Lucy. I think I Love Lucy is pretty much the funniest show on the planet. I feel like there is an episode of I Love Lucy for just about every situation that can arise in life. Are you having trouble adjusting to life with a newly pregnant wife? Does your husband watch sports all the time? Do you have little sales resistance? Are you mad because your band leader husband won't let you be in his show? I could go on and on. I won't though, because I'd like to spare you the full extent of my geekiness. I somehow duped the nicest and coolest and smartest and best looking guy I knew into marrying me and then said...."Ummm, yeah, so I like to memorize episodes of I Love Lucy....so, we cool?" It's just that I feel like sitcoms these days are mere suggestions of what true comedy should be, and instead of originality actual humor I am being fed something that is actually not humor at all, but something yucky that the producer people try to hide with some only mildly appealing stuff, like when my mom tried to get me to eat vegetables by hiding them in other things, like potatoes. But guess what!!! I wasn't fooled then, and I'm not fooled now!! I STILL don't like vegetables, and I STILL don't like yucky sitcoms!!! ( the nice ones I like, though. But still not vegetables.) Anyways, back to work. Someone was quoting "Vitameatavegamin", which just happens to be one of my all time favorite episodes, and she said "and it's good for you, too!" Well, I'll have you know its SUPPOSED to be "It's so tasty, too! Tastes just like candy.", but you may remember from previous posts that I'm a chicken, and so I of course said nothing, but sat in my little stickler world, repeating the REAL words in my mind and celebrating my inner stickler.
Disclaimer: I'd just like to say that I have nothing but respect for people who like vegetables. I hope someday to be able to join you. I hope you realize I was only trying to make a point.
4 comments:
I have this problem with Arrested Development and Monty Python's Holy Grail and pretty much every other movie I've seen more than twice. I appreciate your stickler-icity and I celebrate it. However, I also celebrate vegetables. Frequently.
I totally agree. Also, I celebrate your celebrating vegetables. Good on you, lady.
Every summer growing up in Arizona I would get up and watch The Dick Van Dyke Show, skip Andy Griffith, and then watch I Love Lucy. I had no one to talk to about it, because my friends were watching cartoons. I have to say Dick Van Dyke was my favorite for the witty Carl Reiner dialogue and sophistication, but Lucy was great! Did you notice how she always pronounced "wonderful" as "Wahndaful"? I thought it was so cool. My sister and I would divide our room with a line like Lucy and Ricky did when they had that fight. So many great ideas!
I did love how she pronounces wonderful!!! I love that you noticed that, too! Dick Van Dyke was completely awesome....I'll have to start building up a complete collection of awesome old TV shows.
Post a Comment