Wednesday, October 10, 2007

about last night....

I woke up at about 3:00 in the morning, and felt a sudden urge to consume ice cream. Since my will power is not the strongest at such an ungodly hour, I obeyed immediately and stood in my unmentionables at the kitchen counter as I consumed the remainder of the party cake ice cream . I felt slightly guilty when I woke up, and was reminded of a poem I used to love, by William Carlos Williams:

This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

I love it, and I feel it's pretty applicable to my situation, except for the whole fruit part. Just replace that with ice cream, and you've got it.

4 comments:

Miggy said...

How weird, I was also awoken at 3am by a mysterious force . . . the mysterious force known as my hungry baby. Now whenever I attend to my babe in the wee hours of the morn I'll wonder "maybe Andrea eating ice cream at this exact moment."

andrea gale said...

Hey!! Do you think that maybe these weird late night ice cream cravings are somehow linked to my friends with babies?? That would TOTALLY explain it, since it happens like every night.

Anna said...

That's me! Except The Plum would be a 1 lbs of Swiss Chocolate. My husband was a bit upset. I would be too! So upset that I'd go buy a 1 lbs bar of chocolate and eat it.

andrea gale said...

Hi, Anna! The plum can also be cupcakes, or pudding... I am so right there with you. I'm sure that this can all be pinned on a biological need for such things....or global warming. Yeah, just throw out global warning, and I bet your husband won't be so mad.