Sunday, October 21, 2007

strawberry cake/awesome mom

Today in Sunday School, we were discussing the Holy Ghost, and why we need it, how we can recognize it, how it helps us, etc. A friend shared a story that I really loved, about one of her friends, who had two small children, and was throwing a fairly large dinner party. She hauled her kids to the store and load up on groceries, including a strawberry cake, and when they arrived home, the children asked if they could carry the cake into the house. She was fairly frenzied trying to manage getting all the groceries out and told them yes, but to be sure not to drop it. She looked over as her children were carrying the cake, and reminded them again to please not drop it, and then.....they dropped it, and it splattered onto the pavement. She told her children not to move, and she ran into the house, while her children awaited what they were sure would be horrible punishment. She came out with one hand behind her back, approached her children, and pulled out....three forks. Everything stopped, and they sat on the sidewalk and ate the strawberry cake. I really enjoyed this story for a few reasons, first because I love how the Holy Ghost can help us be the best version of ourselves, second because I really, REALLY want to be able to handle stressful situations like this when I'm a mother, and last, because this is a huge reminder to me that in order to be able to do that, I'd better work on it now. My patience has been wearing thin lately, and I feel like I haven't been as kind or easy-going as I like to be......but this made me want to try to be better! Also, it made me want cake.....

No comments: