Monday, October 8, 2007

flawed

I think we can all agree this is pretty bad.....

Now, isn't this better?



So, I just read a post on a friend's blog, with an excerpt from Joel Stein's Time essay titled "You are not my friend", and pretty much I heart it forever, with a heart shaped exclamation point......it's talking about how we always present our most airbrushed selves to the blogging world, and I ate it up with a spoon, I tell you....and, it got me thinking. This is true, really. When posting a picture, I do generally try to make sure it's fairly flattering, and even when posting something that is meant to look candid, I'm still trying to make sure that Paul and I look polished, and that I'm not slouching, and that I'm not turned the wrong way so my nose looks huge. Immediately after I read the aforementioned post that I am now in love with, I had this surge of do-gooderness, and I thought, "I know!!! I'll post a totally unflattering, very real picture of myself to show that I'm not afraid of real life!!! This will inspire millions and surely be mentioned in my behind-the-music!!" Then, I thought...."Well, do I really want to do that?? I mean, there are some really unflattering pictures of me out there....maybe something that's only mildly yucky?? Maybe some iffy lighting, or I'm making a face that I could call weird, but that in actuality is charming and quirky. Yeah, maybe that...." And, there I go again. So, I bit the bullet, and downloaded a picture of myself that is, I feel, completely unflattering. There are a few things going on here:

1. The mid-sentence picture. Who among us has not cringed at the photo snapped while speaking? While in the moment we were perhaps being most charming and well versed in whatever subject being discussed, in the picture it merely comes across as kind of ticked-off.

2. Growing-out hair. I feel that we should have some sort of limitation or rule on being photographed when in the process of growing out one's hair. This an arduous process, to be undertaken only by those who feel they can walk past cute swingy short cuts without ducking into the nearest Aveda. I am proud to say I have not yet succumbed, but I fear one glimpse at this picture may have many wondering why....

3. The slouch. I would like to formally apologize to my mother, who did always remind me to sit up straight, for disregarding her teaching and slouching with wild abandon, as seen above. It just felt so good.....but I'm a changed woman now. I swear, Mom, I won't do it again. On camera.

There. I think that just about covers it. I am flawed, for all the world to see. I included the charmingly quirky picture, just to make myself feel better.





2 comments:

arly said...

Can I just say, I completely hear you about the growing-out-your-hair issue. After getting a hack job sometime in April, I've resolved to grow out my hair. Growing out hair is always painful, but growing out a hack job is even worse. I've resolved myself to wear ponytails for the next 6 months to a year until I can confidently swing my hair ala Vidal Sassoon. Power to you! And power to the "real" candid photo!

andrea gale said...

Arly, thanks for the love. Maybe we should start a support group....I have already identified someone as my HSP (hair support person), who I can call in a moment of crisis. So far, that's come in handy. I know we can do this!!!