Thursday, September 27, 2007

Good news, and the Death of a Sweater


So, Paul got the loan repayment program!! Basically this means that the big hospital money people give us money if Paul works in the hospital for two years. Yay! I love the big hospital money people. Or, maybe technically they are the government hospital money people. I wonder if this makes Paul a democrat.

Now, for some sad news. Last week, my pink cashmere hoodie died. Upon autopsy I discovered it had developed a hole in the elbow. This went undetected for quite some time, and by the time of discovery, sadly it was beyond repair. This is tragic!!! It should have lived so much longer.....I mean, I could wear it with anything! Almost anything. It didn't really look good with my butterfly skirt, but it looked good with so many things!!! I got it on sale at Banana Republic, one of those magical days when you find stuff on the clearance rack that fits and is actually cute.....(I just sniffed for dramatic effect) it lived for almost four years, you know. I think that's a pretty good run, for a pink cashmere hoodie that went everywhere. It went with me to a Death Cab for Cutie concert, and to Paul's graduation (see above picture), and to......the car show......okay, running out of specific instances, but I think you get my drift. This totally stinks, I mean, it was just getting cold. Nice timing, pink cashmere sweater. Thanks a lot. Hmmm. I think I've moved from grief to anger. What comes next?

5 comments:

redstarmama said...

I think retail therapy is the next step in the cashmere grieving process. And a big huge YAY!!! for the loan repayment program! I am still beaming Paul my subliminal Northern California messages. I will not give up. I will not go gently into that good night where you live far away from me!

May! said...

denial: no, i can still use the sweater! it's not threadbare! yes. we. can. still. salvage. sweater. let go! i still want it!
anger: i hate you, sweater, for getting a hole in the elbow, for not lasting forever, and for no rational reason whatsoever!
bereavement: i can't believe my sweater left me; i'm so alone, will i ever love pink cashmere hoodies that are serendipitously on sale again?
depression: i'm sad. sweaters are sad. pink is sad. cashmere is sad. saddy sad sad sad sad.
acceptance: oh well, my sweater's gone, but it's time to go a-shopping for another sweater! aww yeah! woo-hoo!

Ellen said...

I'm so sorry, Andrea. Not about the sweater. About Paul being a Democrat. Sonja's the only Republican in our family so I know how politics can divide. She hates that I'm trying to get her on Medicaid. If she could talk, I'm sure she would call me a socialist.
But seriously, didn't they "darn" holes in socks and sweaters in the old days. I'm sure someone knows how. Obviously not me, since I put "darn" in quotes as if it were a foreign word.
Don't you love my rambles?

Miggy said...

Andrea--

The sweater can be saved. oh yes, it can. This depends on 2 things. . . if you have any thread in a color that vaguely resembles the dead sweater's color, and (this is more important) if you have no shame in wearing a cashmere sweater that has been hand stitched into repair and may look a little janky perhaps causing some raised eye brows from the upper crust crowd. I have no problem with either. I have a sweater that has not 1, but 2 blown out elbows and I still wear it (repaired ofcourse). I have another sweater (perhaps my all time fav, also a serendipidous meeting) that has a huge elbow blow out that I've fixed more than once and still wear. AND I just reparied a small hole in a cashmere sweater last week. Get out your sewing kit, crank up "It ain't over baby til it's over" by Lenny Kravitz and get to fixin'.

andrea gale said...

Jenn- I find your advice very wise. Also, thanks for the subliminal messages!!! Keep up the good work. He was actually suggesting that the other day, and I think I did a great job of looking innocently interested.

May- All I have to say is....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Brilliant.

Ellen- I think it's cool to have a family with different socio-political views. It's okay that Sonja's a Republican and you're a Socialist. Live and let live, I say. As long as neither one of you is imprisoning anyone unjustly. And yes, I do love your rambles.

Amy- Hope. Bright, shining hope. Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, my achey break-y heart. I think that last line might just really tick off Lenny Kravitz, who could probably kick Billy Ray Cyrus' butt, but it was the best I could come up with....