Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Fine Art of Junk Food Consumption

I love junk food. Ever since I can remember, I have loved junk food. I have fond memories of my first grape soda (mentioned in a previous post), the first time I had Kraft macaroni and cheese (at Tiffany Effland's house after school), and the love affair only blossomed with the onset of junior high and high school. In junior high, my lunch of choice was three Snickers bars and an RC Cola. In high school, my tastes became more mature and eclectic, and I moved on to those tasty soft chocolate chip cookies with a thing of cream cheese to smear on top. I also loved the chocolate chip cookie dough frozen yogurt (I saved all the cookie dough bits for the very end), and who doesn't love those individual pizzas? Now that I am (I suppose) a grown-up, I have to curb my junk food loving tendencies a bit and eat things like bran cereal, but I think that junk food knows it will always have a special place in my heart. Now that my deep and abiding love of junk food has been appropriately introduced, I would like to move on to the real reason for this post: the strategy of successful junk food eating. This is something requiring careful thought, consideration and planning. A careful balance must be maintained, with equal parts chocolate, fruity, cupcakes/baked goods, ice cream, and salty/deep fried. My personal technique involves eating a little of every group, not enough to over-do it. I have heard of some people doing revolutionary things like eating carrots in between to cleanse the pallet and creat delusions of health amidst the gluttony, but we all know my relationship with vegetables....anyhow today, together with three friends, I achieved junk food nirvana. First, we went to Economy Candy where I loaded up on some essentials: Pop Rocks, Sugar Babies, Nerds, Mars bars (mmmm, British candy!!), Cadbury Dairy Milk, an economy size bag of Swedish fish (just large enough for me to cradle gently in my arms and coo lovingly at), Tootsie Rolls, and an Abba Zabba for Paul. I tried to hit all the major candy groups, but really Economy Candy has such an extensive selection that several trips would be required to fully appreciate the available bounty: oldies but goodies (nerds, razzles, push pops, sugar babies), connoisseur (dark chocolate, French candy, German candy), chocolates, jelly belly, I'm sure I'm leaving a good deal out, but you get the idea. Then we went to Sugar Sweet Sunshine for cupcakes where I devoured a lemon cupcake and a sexy red velvet cupcake (the actual name of the cupcake! It was sexy, too.), and I took a couple to go. Then we went to the Chip Shop for fish n chips and enjoyed some of their deep fried candy bars (Mars, Reeses, Twinkie). Unfortunately since I had devoured two cupcakes already (poor planning on my part) when we reached the Chip Shop, I couldn't really do justice to my meal and had to bring it home, so perhaps not complete nirvana, but pretty close. Nirvana is good, right?? I think Nirvana is good. If it's actually bad, then replace nirvana with euphoria. It's just that I think nirvana sounds a little cooler. Like I was eating junk food in Tibet.

10 comments:

Miggy said...

You are an inspiration to us all. I thought I was pretty cool when I could down an entire box of Little Debbie Swiss Cake rolls in a 1/2 hour in middle school . . . but I see I have much to learn.

merebuff said...

yesterday was so much fun! can't wait for the next junk food day.

andrea gale said...

Amy- it's been a lot of hard work, I'll be honest, but well worth it. I'll eat candy with you anytime!

Meredith- Thanks again for such an awesome day. Truly life changing!! Up with sweets!!

andrea gale said...

p.s- Amy, an entire box of Little Debbie Swiss Cake rolls in 30 min.??!! Impressive.

Kendra Leigh said...

I can't believe you mentioned Razzles. Ever since that movie 13 Going on 30, I've wondered what the heck they were... did I miss out on something growing up?

andrea gale said...

Now, I personally have never gotten really into Razzles, (the candy that turns into a gum), because I like the satisfaction of swallowing my candy instead of chewing indefinitely, but some people are very into them....I think I'd like to get a bag, though, just to see if my tastes have changed.

redstarmama said...

Justin just came home from Bed, Bath and Beyond with a whole bag full of Razzles for me. I LOOVE Razzles, and how strange is it that the only place I can find them is BB and B? I am vicariously enjoying your mad junk food spree. And I still remember the cream cheese chocolate chip cookie thing. Sad that I have not replicated that treat of treats in my adult life...

Anonymous said...

I can come nowhere near you in your ability to consume junk food, but I do love a good treat. Where is economy candy, and does its name really do it justice? Is the candy actually cheap? And what of this deep fried candy bar thing? I can tell you're not making that up, but is that an actual place in NYC? Obviously I need to be schooled.

Katie M said...

andrea...this is katie...i'm in your ward. i've been blog hopping and found a lot of inwood 1st warders.

just want to say i loved this post! i'm a junk food junkie as well and know the art of mixing fruity with chocolate with salty. on road trips i'll get sour patch kids (i always salivate when i read/say/type that) and milk duds and kettle chips for later.

and i've seriously considered starting a company that sells only the reds and pinks of certain candies (sour patch kids, skittles, starbust, jolly ranchers)
cameron thinks i'm crazy.

andrea gale said...

Jenn- Isn't BB&B the haven for odd finds? I love that you can buy Razzles, and a duvet cover, and margarita mix all in the same place. And candles. lots of candles. The mad junk food spree kind of backfired on me, and since I cheated death and ate nothing but refined white sugar for three days straight, I now have a nasty cold...it was worth it, though.

Heather- You teach me how to run, I'll teach you how to eat deep fried food. Deal? Economy candy is by Delancey street on the lower east side, if I remember correctly, and deep fried Twinkies are definitely real (thank goodness!!). You can get them at the Atlantic Chip Shop in Brooklyn.

Katie- How awesome to hear from you, since I was browsing ward bloggers myself, and came across yours, and enjoyed myself immensely!! Particularly the blog about passwords. I totally, totally dug it. Also, don't let Cameron call you crazy. You are a visionary. Cameron may not yet have caught the brilliance of what you are imagining, but patience, my friend. We shall overcome.