Hmmm. We look a little cranky. I've been a little cranky this week. I've been reading a book lately that focuses on how we can become closer to Heavenly Father. ( That's not what made me cranky, though.) The author makes some very bold statements that I totally dig- I really like being encouraged to find ways I can improve. (Still not what made me cranky.) One chapter talked about the gap between what we believe, and how we act, and how we can narrow the gap....she said something that I've heard before, about how the more we try to narrow the gap, the more conscious we become of there being a gap, and the less acceptable to us that becomes. (Here comes what made me cranky.) I really tried this week to live with integrity, to do what I said I would do, to do what I believe is right, and at the end of the week......I fell short. I fell SO short!! I stank!! (at narrowing the gap, not physically. I don't think, anyway.) I felt so disappointed. I was trying!!! I was really trying, and I still messed up!!! Then again, I appreciate these experiences because they help me to be more understanding with those around me....we're all doing our best. I really believe that. I like the idea that we should do our best, work our hardest to show the Lord we are mindful of Him, and then trust Him to make up the difference. So, I'd just like to say, thanks, Heavenly Father, for being patient with me. I'm trying.
6 comments:
I believe in being lazy and sometimes being apathetic and thinking humorously naughty thoughts.
There: no gap! :)
i think of what "trying" means to different people. when i read this i thought of nephi's little tirade of not being good enough when we KNOW he was doing all he could. and you're doing all you can. and it's natural to get mad at yourself, but do not beat yourself up, because junk food is much harder to handle when you're sore. take from me over here at sinners' central: you're awesome.
I would like to thank Scott and May for playing Devil on my Shoulder and Angel on my Shoulder perfectly. I will definitely cast you in the movie loosely based on my life. (Loosely based because in the movie, I think I'd like Penelope Cruz to play me.)
I think it was Elder Faust that talked about how it gets harder as you improve because you take care of the easier stuff first. As you learn to master yourself, you come to know yourself more and realize even more how far you are from what you want to be. This sends you into what Marge Simpson would call a "shame spiral." It's part of the process. I don't know how to alleviate the frustration except to realize that everyone goes through it. Then, as you sigh, pop a brownie right in that mouth. Mmmm.
Ahhhh, Ellen. Nice post. I love the combo of wisdom from Elder Faust and Marge Simpson, combined with brownies. Thanks, dude.
Yes, sorry, I want to emphasize that Elder Faust did NOT quote Marge Simpson. That was all me.
Post a Comment