I really like Halloween.
My reasons are threefold: first, I rejoice in the fact that there is a holiday centered entirely around candy and dressing up (two of the best things in the world), second, I really love candy, and third, I also really, really love candy.
While it is perhaps slightly less socially acceptable for me to eat candy for breakfast, lunch and dinner now than, say, when I was nine, my love for Halloween hasn 't faded a bit. The only thing that makes me kind of sad is that I will never again be as cute in a Halloween costume as when I was a kid.
My time has passed, you know? I had my glory days, when all I had to do was put on a tutu or a crown or my mom's high heel shoes and everyone was like "Awwwww....". Now I'm just another washed up thirty year old wearing a Cinderella crown while I chase some Swedish Fish with Yoohoo. And people still go "Awwww...", only now I get the feeling it's for a different reason.
Except for this year, I didn't dress up because I was sick and Paul wouldn't let me go to any Halloween parties because he didn't want me infecting any kids. Whatever. Honestly, I think he's a little embarrassed to be seen with me on Halloween and he saw my sickness as a blessing from God. Potato, po-tahto.
Well, that's life, you know? You buy some cough medicine, and hang up your Halloween costume and you eat like a pound of candy and you move on, right? If I could go back, (not that I would, okay?) I would totally go back to fifth grade when I dressed up as half of a pair of dice and I wore my black leotard and black tights and I had this box that I painted white and stuck black dots all over it and I won best costume and got to sit in the special chair shaped like a huge hand all day.
But that was then, and this is now.
And I'll always have the fifth grade. And candy.
Let's not forget about candy.
6 comments:
I think you might love candy as much as I do... I consumed 20 Kit Kat bars last night, all the while refusing to share with anyone, especially May who was on the phone. Some candies are just sacred too share.
I hope you're feeling better!
-Alicia
Andrea,
I miss you like crazy! Way to unleash your inner 5th-grader. I hope you feel better, too.
You might need to coach Alicia on the finer aspects of sharing the love in the form of delicious candies. I begged for 10 straight minutes for a piece of her Kit Kit bars: The commercial says "break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar," which means someone else has the bar, and that someone is breaking off a piece to share. You're not breaking "yourself" off a piece - that's not what the commercial says. You need to share with me. Give me a break. I want that Kit Kat bar. Please. A piece of that Kit Kat. You have to share. Kit Kat. Please. I want that Kit Kat bar. Now. Give a break. Kit Kat. Bar. Kit Kat?
The best she could do? Say no. Flat-out denial. Like a million times. It was Halloween, FOR GOODNESS' SAKE.
Talk to her. Please.
I love your writing. :) Candy is deliciousness! It is is glorious divinity enveloped in chocolate. In short, heavenly.
LOVE YOU ANDREA!!! The cat wearing the pants post was SO EPIC. LOVE YOU :-)
This is the beauty of having children: they provide a whole sack full of candy for you to peruse and pilfer from, without having to do any of the work.
The other day Declan told me he was going to get lots of chocolate on Halloween. I told him that I would be taking all of his chocolate and eating it myself. I then explained to him that this was indeed the great purpose of his life, and that this is why all parents have children: to take their Halloween chocolate. He didn't seem to agree, but he will someday.
alicia- yippeee!!! okay, so may, i totally get where you're coming from, but i'm kind of a territorial person when it comes to sweets, so i'm kinda going to have to side with alicia here. plus you kind of left, and we're a little ticked. although i find your logic flawless, as always. also i love you. and alicia, you are partying with us, ASAP.
vdg- man, you always know just how to brighten my day!!
debbie- love you too!
redstarmama- yeah, that does seem like a completely brilliant plan. kids, huh....know where i can get one? do they sell them at costco?
Post a Comment