Thursday, May 8, 2008

old macdonald had a bus

I am riding the 31 bus to work today when two sisters board the bus. One looks about four, and the other maybe five or six, and they are very cute indeed. Curly brown hair, huge dark eyes- the cute market is cornered with these two, I tell you. I have to grin because not only are they insanely adorable, they are singing Old Macdonald Had a Farm, and who doesn't enjoy a rousing chorus on the way to their place of employment? Or pre-school?

They sit behind me. There are two seats, but they kind of squish into one, and continue singing.

"Old Macdonald had a...."

"Bus!! Old Macdonald had a bus!!"

"No, Old Macdonald didn't have a bus. No buses."

The older sister takes charge. They resume:

"Old Macdonald had a tree....."

Here I am waiting with bated breath to find out what sound a tree makes, because all this time I am not able to figure that one out, and no one yet has been in the forest to hear a tree scream when it is cut down (that I'm aware of). I don't get to find out, though, because the older sister has just changed her mind. Maybe Old Macdonald did require public transportation, after all. She sings reverently:

"Old Macdonald had a tree........and buses...."

"Eeeeyi eeeeyi oooooh. For you and me, for you and me."

Clearly they have mixed up Old Macdonald with This Land is Your Land, (obvious to a seasoned singer of nursery rhymes such as myself) but seeing as they are both cute as a button, I let it slide. I exit the bus, and here I am.

Still grinning.

No comments: