Saturday, December 8, 2007

john



It's my little brother John's birthday today. He's twelve years old. Twelve!! I can't believe it. How did that happen? If you thought I was really psyched about birthdays, John is....psyched multiplied by fifty. He is "psyched" personified. He had a sleepover birthday party last night. They went bowling, and Mom made pigs-in-blankets, and they played ping pong, and watched Home Alone 2, and Elf, and my Mom, who has always doubted her talents in the party throwing department, is the new hero of the day. It sounds like this was a rocking party! Hats off to my mom for hosting a gaggle of twelve year old boys. I think one of the kids accidentally knocked over the snack food table, and a lot of stuff was spilled, but a good time was had by all. I just got off the phone with him. Here's how the conversation went:


Me: Happy birthday, dude! I can't believe you're twelve!!

John: Thanks! So, Mom says there is a present coming in the mail for me.

Me: Cool! Do you have any idea what it is?

John: No! I have no idea what it is. Unless it's church related. Mom, is it church related? Maybe it's a case for my scriptures. Mom, is it a case for my scriptures? Oh, okay. She said it's not church related.

Me: Hmmm. Guess you'll have to wait and see!

John: Mom, is it BYU related? Or UCLA related? Oh, okay. She said it isn't.

Me: (I start to say something but John jumps in again)

John: Oooooh, unless it's Dragon sunglasses. I really want Dragon sunglasses. It could be Dragon sunglasses, but I doubt it. Mom, is it Dragon sunglasses? Oh, okay, not that. She said it isn't.

Me: Hmmm.

John: Mom, if it doesn't come today then do I get to open a Christmas present instead? Oh. okay. She said no. Oooooh! Car magazines! I bet it's car magazines. Mom, is it car magazines? Oh, okay. She says she won't tell me what it is. I bet it's car magazines.

I can't handle how much I love him. I bet my Mom is going to take a really long nap today.

4 comments:

redstarmama said...

Has it really been that long since Roger was driving us to Seminary in the silver Honda?! He seriously cannot be a deacon. Wow, time passes so fast.

Katie M said...

hey... funny, i have a little 12 year old sis. she is so much fun. nothing like preteens.

andrea gale said...

jenn- I know, isn't that crazy??!! I really can't believe it.

katie- yes, right there with you. preteens are awesome.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.