Monday, November 12, 2007

the science of birthday gifts

Sunday is my birthday. I really like birthdays. I think I mentioned that in a previous post, didn't I? I like the idea that your birthday is one day of the year when you're always right, you can buy whatever you want (within reason, of course), eat whatever you want (which I do anyway, but on my birthday I feel I have a very good reason), and also I really like cake. Paul has gotten me a birthday gift, and now as I type, it is sitting on the floor behind me: a medium sized box, wrapped in pink wrapping paper covered with little girls dressed as ballerinas. He has selected two bows, one red and one white, and placed them right next to each other in the upper left hand corner of the box. I am wondering if these bows are supposed to represent our love for each other, or at least our close proximity to one another? Hmmmm. Now, the important question....what is it?? Paul said that he took a risk when he got this for me. A risk? A birthday seems like a pretty big day to take a risk with present buying, especially given my history of placing far too much importance on a day most people hate. I just looked at it again. It looks like it could be something electronic. I'm not sure I want something electronic. Paul said that I have mentioned wanting this since before we were married. What have I wanted that long? Do you know?? I really can't think of anything, and I'm wondering if I've been able to go six years without purchasing it, is it really that important? Or, is it soooo important that I haven't been able to justify buying it? Wait- I think I just figured it out. Maybe. If it is what I am thinking it is, then I do like it. Oh, I so totally know what it is. That sneaky devil. Okay, I was wrong. I just asked Paul, and while my guess was something he had considered getting me, it is not that. Hmmmm. I really don't know. I thought he got me a Kitchen Aid, which I have long coveted, but he thought that was actually too risky, as it falls into the appliance category. So, what is risky, that I've wanted for at least six years and possibly more, and is not as risky as an appliance? I tried to weasel more information out of him by painting the bleak picture of me weeping next to the unwanted present as he left for work, and this almost did the trick, but then I asked him if it was the Kitchen Aid, he got freaked out that I could get in his head like that, and he's stopped revealing anything. If anything, he's looking more confident. Paul, if you're reading this, here's a list of things I've wanted for over six years:

1. A pony
2. To meet Cary Grant
3. Muscular calves
4. One of those spa treatments where you get all wrapped up in mud, seaweed or some other earthy product. And then they put hot stones on your back. Yeah.
5. A trip to Spain
6. Actually, it might be nice to own Spain

Paul has gotten concerned that the wrapping paper is slightly see-through. He has since draped a T-shirt over the top.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea- You crack me up. If you end up owning Spain I so totally want to come visit for free.

arly said...

I'm glad to see another person relishing her birthday. This year I threw myself a party and took treats to work to celebrate myself. Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear you, happy birthday to you! Can't wait to hear what the mystery gift is.

andrea gale said...

Trudy- Whaaassup? Great to hear from you, cuz! I'll definitely give you a free pass to Spain. Just as soon as they hand the papers over to me.

Arly- Up with birthdays, right? I love that you threw yourself a part AND brought treats to work. That is aaaaawesome. Thanks for the birthday song!!!

redstarmama said...

All I can say is that if I ever need someone to write a "blurb" about me and my life, and I am incapable of doing so myself, the appointment falls to you. That is about the highest compliment I can pay. You are just too dang hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to find out what the mystery gift is either. But here is something to ponder... maybe it is a very small gift wrapped in boxes that increase in size? Then what could it be? Hmmm...

Julia said...

The suspense would be killing me. Props to Paul for being on top of things. I am serious about having him give Eric a call.

Can I come to Spain?

andrea gale said...

jenn- Any talent I have is surely because I've been privy to your genius for the last 25 years... So, when you win your Pulizter, or Nobel, I get to write the blurb?

mommy2- You know, you could be on to something! Maybe he's using creative wrapping to throw me off the scent! Would you advocate shaking the gift, or do you consider that cheating?

julia- I think we should organize a "Man-richment" where we educate our husbands regarding how to buy birthday gifts, what do you think? Also, I'll totally give you a VIP pass to Spain as soon as the paperwork is signed, and they recognize me as the owner, you know, mere formality....