The other day, I am on my way home from work, on the subway, and a Very Respectable Old man is standing next to me. I know he is respectable because he has on an argyle sweater vest and those shoes with tassles on them, and who but very respectable people wear those? He is reading the New Yorker (again, very respectable) and listening to his i-pod. Then, he does something in no way respectable: he starts rocking out. He is getting down and funky, lip synching, dancing in place and really being very Mick Jagger. I am digging this quite a bit, and trying not to laugh, when another Very Respectable Old Man gets on the train. Now, he actually could kick the other Respectable Old Man's trash, because he has on a very smart looking cap, and one of those jackets with the elbow patches, and I think we can all agree that elbow patch jackets trump argyle sweater vests any day of the week. Plus, he has some really great grizzled old man sideburns. He is standing directly next to my music loving friend, who by the way is showing no sign of quitting his dancedance revolution. He looks at him over his New York Times, is understandably quite shocked at this very un-respectable display, and gives him his best I'm Very Disappointed in You Glare (which is also a very effective parenting technique), but Mick-in-Training is quite in his own little world and does not notice, so Elbow Patch Man decides to glare for the duration of the train ride. We all get off at the same stop, Man #2 glaring at Man #1 the whole way to the elevators, and then they go their separate ways, with Mick in Training jiving all the way.
6 comments:
oh how i wish sesame street still made such classic, generation-bridging segments!!
I think elbow patch man needs to lighten up and shake his groove thang. Old guys can totally bust a move. They don't call them the greatest generation for nothing!
Speaking of Mick Jagger, that would be a great name for your first child. How about...Paco Jagger Boerem. :-)
Excellent story! Hey, did you get my e-mail? Lately my e-mail has been acting up and it may not have shown your response.
I love that sesame street clip! Awesome!!!
I agree that elbow patches trump argyle, but does the Times trump the New Yorker? I see the subject of many future conversations out of this one.
kendra- me too, my friend. me too.
redstarmama- word up.
anderson's- ah, you have much knowledge!! I love that name so much.
arly- I love Harry Potter!!
julia- you've brought up an excellent point. we must organize a symposium.
Post a Comment