I am looking at hairstyles online when Paul finally gets off the phone.
He's always so happy after talking to Kevin. "How is he?" I ask, and Paul smiles and moves his hand in a curve over his belly.
"Kevin got fat?" I ask, and Paul smiles again and shakes his head.
"Ryanne's pregnant again." His smile is the smile of a proud uncle, of a proud brother. And I put on the smile I wear to match his, the smile of a proud aunt, the smile of a barren woman grieving something never lost.
"That's so great!" My voice sounds canned to me, like a recording.
"Wow," I say, "wow."
I walk into the bedroom, and I sit on the orange rocking chair I got Paul for our anniversary. I look out over the rooftops. Before my empty uterus reached up and smacked me in the face I was thinking about doing my Spanish homework, but it is impossible for homework to exist amidst so much pain.
This is stupid, I think. I am happy, I am happy, I am happy. I repeat the words over and over as tears blur my glasses.
There was a talk in General Conference a couple of years ago and it was all about how the Lord remembers us, how we need to hold on, to have faith that we will be blessed. And he quoted the scripture about Rachel, about how God remembers her and she conceives Joseph. I sit in the orange rocking chair and remember that talk. I want for God to remember me, too.
I want to believe that the Lord is preparing something amazing for me, that this is the reason so much time has passed, that this is the reason I am sitting in the orange rocking chair wiping mascara streaks from my face.
Paul walks in, stands beside me, places his hand on my hair. "Are you sad because Ryanne is pregnant?" He asks this in the voice he uses when he is ready to listen, but I remain silent.
He stands beside me for a long time, not pushing my silence.
I don't have an answer to speak, at least not one that's necessary. Paul has been a witness to my waiting. The cat climbs on my lap, and shoves her cold, tiny nose against mine. Paul rubs my neck, and walks back into the living room to watch T.V.
And I sit, in the orange rocking chair I gave Paul for our anniversary. I make a list in my mind of the work to be done, work meant to be done today that I will push to tomorrow. And I give myself this time. This is the time when I can feel the pain. Tomorrow I will tell myself enough now, and I will wash my mind clean of it.
I move from the chair to bed, where I remove my socks and change into my pajamas. As I look up, I can see Paul in the doorway, watching me.
***I wrote this just to witness what I experience, but I really, REALLY want all of you mothers to know how genuinely happy I am for you when you produce a new life. I am especially thinking of my wonderful sisters-in-law who are expecting. Waiting to be a mother is challenging for me, but I never want any of you to feel any guilt on my account. Nothing is better for me than to see women rejoicing in their motherhood.***
19 comments:
Andrea, I'm not going to pretend like I can empathize, here. But I just want to say that you and Paul are pretty amazing people, with or without kids (in this life).
I just want to let you know that you guys are seriously affecting people's lives in a positive way. And that I'm certain that you will be rewarded you for it, and for your patience.
So, yeah.
i love you andrea!
someday you will be a great mother. i don't know when someday is, but i know it will come.
I love you Andrea. Though my journey through the place where you are was shorter, I know how it hurts to be happy for someone else when all you want is to be there yourself. I'm sending you lots of hugs this morning.
And some bacon. Cause you love bacon. xoxo
As Turbo said, I am one of those people whose life you are affecting in a positive way. I know nothing I can say can ease that pain, but I do want you to know that I love you and think about and pray for you and Paul often.
Since you've been affecting my life in a positive way since we were like, 3, you already know how great I think you are. And how gnarly a mom you're going to be. And sometimes it really bugs me how far New York is from California. Sometimes you just need to hug your best friend.
This was so beautifully written, Andrea. So many times I feel like people push the hurt away and pretend it isn't there. I think it's healthy to take time to be sad like this, to process our trials. By doing that I think joy will be so much sweeter.
I love you!
Andrea, this was so beautiful, touching, and incredibly well written. Thanks so much for sharing so openly and honestly -- it is so refreshing! I can really relate to the sense of grief you share about this particular trial. It is so applicable to all of us as, (like Katie said) we process our trials. you are amazing, my friend.
Your pain has nothing to do with your happiness for others. It belongs to you and it is valuable.
I only know you through your blog and I think you are amazing.
Dont apologize.
This is beautiful. You are beautiful.
Oh, I love you so much Andrea! You WILL be a mother and whatever children you are blessed with will be the luckiest on the planet!
have i told you guys how much i love you??? FOR REALS, I LOVE YOU!! you have been so great about giving me love and support and letting me talk about what i'm experiencing. i can't thank you enough.
I'm sorry, friend. It really is hard, SO hard, to be where you are. It's good that you can give this sadness its space. PS You are an incredible woman!
do you remember in the general relief society broadcast they talked about how our trials will be but a moment? it was a quick thing but i've been thinking about trials lately. and also, do you remember when the lord promises us a fullness of joy?
this entry has some funny (not haha funny) timing but i'm not sure i could explain myself all the way right here.
i'm so glad you wrote this. i'm so glad to see what you feel, to see you conquer it. and i'm so grateful you spoke up and introduced yourself because i so, so very much enjoy you. what an enlightening and enjoyable thing it has been to know you.
I found your blog through Reagan's. (found her through Cjane) Unlike many, I do know this pain. And reading your post brought all those feelings back. I had my husband read it. He can relate. And after 22 years, I am now the mother of four. One adopted. For 8 years, we suffered through secondary infertility- which means, we had managed to have one child (not without trials) and hadn't been able to concieve others. My story is a long one, but I know that the Lord answers our prayers- it is just the accepting of His timing and His answers that can be hard at times. Hugs.
I heart you. I hug you.
This is just so fabulously written. I want everyone I know to read this.
that is y favorite conference talk as well. You will be so happy when your day comes.
Andrea, I printed that conference talk and I read it about once a month. The Lord does and will remember us and I love you:)
Andrea sometimes people leave such a huge impression or influence on our life and I am one who is not always the best at telling those people what they mean to me.
I know we live far away, but you have been a voice of hope, have buoyed me up, and given me self confidence and support at times when voices around me were doing the opposite. What I wouldn't give to have had a mother like you!
Post a Comment