Monday, August 17, 2009

the mug and the spoon lie in wait

I woke up hungry.

Paul's phone was beeping, which is why I was awake. So I picked up his phone and saw that Jeff from work had called. I figured it must be important for Jeff from work to call so early and so I woke Paul up and then stumbled back into the kitchen for food.

And I mixed myself some instant breakfast which I love because it's like getting to drink chocolate milk for breakfast and you also get vitamins and who doesn't love vitamins, and that's when I noticed something:

A white ceramic mug and a spoon sitting on a place mat. They looked like they were waiting for something, and while of course it is not at all unusual for one of my very own mugs to be hobnobbing with one of my very own spoons on one of my very own place mats, I felt sort of funny, like I was returning to the scene of a crime.

And then I remembered. Vaguely floating around in a fuzzy puddle of memory, there it was, this picture of me waking up in the middle of the night and making my way to the kitchen where I pulled from the refrigerator the mixing bowl of cookie dough and poured myself a glass of 1% milk and ate what I can only assume was a massive quantity of cookie dough before carefully recovering the mixing bowl and returning the milk carton to its home, leaving the mug and spoon behind.

They had waited for me, the only remaining co-conspirator, and I had returned to the scene of the crime, just as they knew I would.

4 comments:

redstarmama said...

First of all, if I had perpetrated this heinous act, I would be a writhing ball of indigestion all night. I live vicariously through you, criminality and all.

Secondly, you are a genius of the written (and spoken, I might add) word, and I devour everything you produce!

Kage said...

I have had a carnation instant breakfast every day of my life for the past 25 years. And now my husband is addicted too, so I buy it buy the case off Amazon.

And with that interesting fact, I introduce myself to your blog, found it through miggy.

Hiya!

andrea gale said...

redstarmama- i heart you. and i miss you. maybe i need a trip to santa cruz. i am going to start praying to the jetblue fairy.

kage- nice to meetcha!! instant breffast is like the best thing ever. i never thought to buy it by the case, though, so i am kind of loving you right now. thanks for the tip, fellow addict!

Unknown said...

Only you can make a mug and a spoon so interesting. And funny. But are you sure it wasn't Paul eating the cookie dough?