Paul and I went for our first adoption interview with our caseworker on Friday.
Neither of us really knew what to expect..... I mean, he probably wanted to know that we're not escaped convicts and stuff, but that goes without saying, right?
We stopped by the Jewish bakery on our way, and Paul got a black and white cookie. I said I didn't want any, but he gave me half anyway. I thought that was quite decent of him.
I was a little nervous. It all felt so....I don't know, real. Like we're actually doing this. Not just talking about it. I felt the same way when I decided to go back to school.
See, I have this habit of thinking I know how my life is going to turn out. After Paul and I got married, sure, I said I wanted to go back to school, but......I didn't mean it. Really I figured I would have kids, and I'd go back later on. Much later on.
Go back to school, the little voice said.
So, I quit my job and applied to school. Know what? There was a part of me, a not so tiny part, that thought maybe now I'll get pregnant.
As I hauled my book bag out the door on my first day of school, I thought....
Oh!!! So, you actually wanted me to go back to school.....okey dokey, I think I get where you're going with this......ri-ight.
The little voice came again: put in your adoption papers, it said.
So Paul and I started the adoption process, and there it was again, that not so tiny part of me that thought......maybe now I'll get pregnant.
As we sat down on the couch in the caseworker's office I thought.....
Oh!!!! So, you actually wanted us to adopt.....alrighty, I think I get you, I dig.....we're actually supposed to do this!!!
I sat next to Paul and listened as the caseworker described the adoption process. It's complicated, more so than I had anticipated. If you adopt a baby from another state, you can't take the baby home until the proper paperwork has been filed, which usually takes at least a couple of weeks. As I envisioned camping out in a Motel 6 for two weeks while caring for a newborn, I thought about how the scenario I had been picturing didn't so much involve a complementary continental breakfast.
After the baby comes home, the process still isn't finished. The adoption has to be finalized, a process which requires hiring an adoption attorney, and while six months is usually what is expected, in New York it can be more like two years.
It wasn't all scary. There was some positive, exciting stuff too, like we're just about done with everything we need to get our paperwork finished, and could be ready to meet with birth parents as soon as April. Cue fluttering feeling in the pit of my tummy.
We walked out of the office a little dazed. We were silent; Paul took my hand. How is it possible to feel so many different emotions at the same time? Was I happy? Sad? Excited? Nervous? Stressed? Hopeful? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.
I'm feeling a little.....stressed, I said.
Me too, Paul said. Paul is sort of a fatalist. You can't take him to a playground because he's too nervous, always sees the worst case scenario. I could see the same sort of look on his face, the look like someone was too close to falling off the monkey bars.
I think everything will be fine, I said.
We'll just take it one step at a time, Paul said. No sense in worrying about everything all at once, right?
Right, right.
The thing is, even after walking out of that office faced with all the gritty details, I feel really good about this. Like there is a very specific reason we are meant to do this. There's also a part of me that thinks this is is crazy. Insane. How can this possibly work out?
Later that day, Paul brought home a package of Golden Oreos, which, I am not going to lie, are like crack to me. The package was gone within eight hours.
This might be the sugar buzz talking, but I think everything's going to be just fine.
17 comments:
everything is going to be great and it will be so worth it. i cant wait to see you spread your sunshine.
It's definitely a combination of sugar and the Spirit. That's the best double high ever.
If I wasn't stuck here, I would so come down to that Motel 6 with a bunch of diapers and rent the room next to you. Okay, maybe Paul would want me to give you guys some space...
Thank you for writing this. You are so amazing, and you know I heart you. Thank you for coming over after such a big event and spending the afternoon with me. I know everything is going to be fine, and I agree with Reagan that you are going to spread your sunshine!
You are so cute and I'm so glad you're letting us go on this journey with you.
Yay for the sugar high! It's gotten me through a lot in life.
I with Ellen on the sugar high/spiritual prompting thing. You will be a great mom, and there is some baby who is coming to this earth just to be yours!
Really great description of your feelings. It gives me energy to move forward with some stuff of my own. Love you.
This is wonderful Andrea!!! I am so happy for you and Paul!!
thank you so much for your blog, you are so inspiring...and funny. But this entry is really heart warming, thank you, thank you, thank you!
I can't wait!!!
Wow! Wow! Wow! Celebrating for you both! I'll have to eat a cookie in your honor. Maybe we'll have to break cookies together! I'll call you!
everyone- thank you all so much for your support and awesomeness!! i am just the luckiest girl ever to have such amazing friendies. (new made up word. just trying it out.) I love you!
Is it too late to comment?
Sometimes you know when something is just right. And that little voice... it pays to listen.
And I get the room next door...
The best! Only thing that can come out of my mouth right now because I am swimming with happiness for you guys. (I'm glad I'm not the only one with voices)
That post gave me lots of warm fuzzies. Thank you!
Wow! I am so excited!
If we were already friends, I'd know just how to comment, but you're my sister, Emily's friend, so I'm going to comment and let the chips fall where they may. (Tostito chips, hopefully, or maybe original Pringles. Yum.)
You're right. It is weird and stressful and exciting and sometimes sad...It's all those things and lots of other useful adjectives. But hopeful is the best one. It can take a long time (2 years for our first adoption) or hardly any (just a few months the second time). The sheer immensity of the paperwork is unbelievable...and the oddly invasive interviews...but it's worth it.
I don't know if you've thought of this at all--probably not since you're such a pretty girl--but one awesome perk of adoption is the fact that you're not limited by your own gene pool. No way in the world could we have produced the blonde, curly-haired mini-cupid that is now our son.
Good luck! Just wait till the homestudies...
So exciting!!!
thanks, guys! you are the most wonderful.
sumgreater- nice to meet you, and thanks for your comment!! i think you've summed things up quite nicely, and the lovely happy picture of you with your babe is pretty dang uplifting. also pringles do sound really yummy....
jennie- thanks, and welcome!
Post a Comment