I first med my dad when I was born, and we've been friends ever since. (I'm just going to pretend like my teenage years never happened, okay?) Every time I talk to my dad I love him a little bit more, and I loved him quite a lot to start with, so.....you do the math. Which, by the way, he is really good at. I really, really love him. Here are some of my favorite things about my dad:
1. He loves the Lord. He always, always wants to be found doing the Lord's work, and I can't think of one instance when he hasn't been. No fanfare, no big deal to him. He sees work to be done, and does it.
2. He loves my mom. Really, really loves her. I asked my mom once what were some of the things she loved about my dad, and she told me that when he looked at her, he had the kindest eyes she had ever seen. Ever since I heard her say that, I try to take close-up pictures of him. See? Kind eyes.
2. He loves me. He loves all of us kids, but for now I'm going to be nice and selfish and just talk about how he loves me. He has always wanted a strong relationship with his children, and knowing the importance of communication, would make time each Sunday for a father-daughter chat. By the time I was a teenager I was of course obligated to find this tedious and dorky, but really it was pretty awesome, and I'd like to start a petition to overturn this mandated crabbiness for teenagers. Now that I'm grown and away from home, he writes me letters. Can you believe that? Letters, with spiritual and fatherly council that never fails to uplift and inspire. Each letter ends with him expressing his love and gratitude for his family, and.....yeah. I'm pretty close to crying right now.
3. He wants to be riding a bike when he's 90. You know what? I totally think he will. Every morning, my dad does four things: reads his scriptures, writes in his journal, says a prayer, and goes for a jog. Man, I love that. I want to be more like my dad.
4. He forgives people. I was not a nice teenager. I yelled. I slammed doors. I glared. Yep, there were several years when I was not very pleasant, but never has he made me feel bad. He's just happy when people change for the better, you know?
I have like a million more things, but then I'd be crying buckets and that might scare Paul, so I think I'll end here.
Dad, I love you. Maybe someday, I'll be more like you. I sure hope so.
4 comments:
Good old Roger. Ya gotta love him!
I can see the kind eyes. You've got them too!
What a sweet, sweet post! He's so lucky to have you as his daughter. I'm also glad I wasn't the only bratty teenager to my dad.
As I was reading your post Beanie walked up, looked at the picture of your dad and said "bampa" or "papa" which is her word for Grandpa....so to her he looks like her grandpa which is cute. Your dad sounds awesome.
Post a Comment