Thursday, January 22, 2009

the coldest i've ever been

See this, right here? This is not it. This is me, frolicking in California last week. Note how not cold I look.
Paul and I flew out to stop my brothers from killing each other. Okay, not really. We actually flew out to enjoy some quality shenanigans with our families. No conflict resolution was involved. This incident ended peacefully. Some indian burns may have been involved.

A couple days after returning from the land of milk and honey, we drove to D.C. with Kevin and Ryanne and their good friends Sandy and Tim for the inauguration. Mad props to Kevin for this sweet angled shot. I think it captures beautifully our thoughts and emotions at that moment: Andrea- I am so pleased I can feel my feet right now. Paul- I am in no way experiencing hypothermia. Nicely done, Kevin.

After an awesome day of looking at historically significant artifacts (dude! we saw the magna carta, for reals!), we thought we'd have our picture taken in front of this pretty white building. Still, not the coldest I've ever been.

So, I guess you have to get up pretty early to be first in line for one of the 21st Century's most anticipated events. Here, smashed up against a lot of happy strangers with some of my favorite people at 6:30 in the morning, I thought......yeah, getting pretty cold.

Uh.......awesome.

This is it. The coldest I've ever been. You can't tell, but here I have on leggings, tights, two pairs of socks, jeans, a tank top, two long sleeve shirts, a turtleneck shirt, a sweatshirt, scarf, hat, gloves and puffy coat, and I am still completely fa-reezing. For seven hours, I jog in place and watch as one of our nation's most historically significant moments unfolds.

I have to admit, as I jog in place and pray that my feet won't fall off, I feel a little guilty. I mean, I've never been a very political person, and I know people who would have jogged in place for much, much longer to have the opportunity I was being afforded.

As I wait for Ryanne to come out of one of the port-a-pottys lined up for what seems like miles, I pace. Got to keep the blood flowing. Foot retention has always been a priority of mine. A woman is walking toward me; I shift my pacing to the right. Still, she's about to run into me, okay, shifting pace to the- oh, wait. She's walking up to me.

She says hello, asks me how I'm doing. It's a cold day, isn't it? Through chattering teeth, I agree. An exciting day, isn't it, I say. She smiles. We're all cold, but we have warm hearts, she says.

I'm not so cold any more.

12 comments:

Sandy said...

I cant explain how happy I was to get back to AZ! It was so fun hanging with you!

Trudy Ann said...

My dearest cousin, found this recipe and thought of you, since you are the lover of chocolate that you are. super easy, and so good!(plus the title just makes you smile!)
http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/recipe88.knock-you-naked-brownies.html

The Jeppson Family said...

I have a comment to the comment you posted about my comment a few blogs back. Confusing enough for you! Ha! Ok, back on track, I hear the word "bestest" used in a song. "I'm Yours" by Jason Moraz specifically. If it is used in a song...I say it is real! Luv ya cuz. BTW next time you are in Cali. you must call me! I am only like 1 1/2 hours away!! Hope your warmer with all extremeties present.

Katie M said...

So cool you got to be there! Let's hang out now that you're back!

redstarmama said...

Um, you were in my state and you didn't tell me?!!!! I would have made the 5 hour drive just to see you. Andrea and Jenn in the same state is a rare and momentous occasion, if not so historically significant as Obama's big day.

I really need to call you. I will call you. As soon as I can talk on the phone without having to referee my children at the same time.

Julia said...

You already know how jealous I am. Can I just say that Paul looks awesome in that Obama beanie. How cool are you guys?!

Little John said...

Hey Andrea,
I didn't really think you would put that picture of Walt, David, and I on there! I have to say my face is pretty funny! I thought you were going to put that picture of the Lord of the Rings weapons I drew on there? I love reading your blog!
Love your brother, Little John

andrea gale said...

sandy- we had such a great time with you guys, I think I came pretty near to peeing my pants a few times. from laughing, I mean, and not due to lack of public restrooms.

trudy ann- aaawwwwesome. chocolate + supereasy + so good = my favorite. thanks!

jeppson- oh, i heart you a million times over! thanks for your confirmation about "bestest". totally works for me.

katie- jack. bauer. tomorrow.

redstarmama- i'm so sorry!! i almost did, and thought it was too much to ask, and now i really wish i did and i guess i just have to fly back out there now. oh, and yes. call. me. please.

julia- we tried our best to represent for you. paul does look kind of dashing in his beanie!

little john- yesss, my first comment from my favorite 13 year old little bro! i thought your lord of the rings picture was so awesome, it deserved its own post, so i'm saving it. i love reading your blog, too!

Little John said...

Thanks for leaving that comment on your blog! And I don't really think those Lord of the Rings drawings are very good. But I won't deny it if someone thinks they are. Love You Brother,
John

BookwormMama said...

Andrea, I have to say, I LOVE the hat! That is so perfect! I am uber jealous that you were at the inauguration! Wish I could have been there with you to jog in place with you! :]

PrincessPi said...

Uh...aren't you both republicans? Doesn't freezing your tootsies off for Obama completely fly in the face of what you believe? Especially considering that you could have been in some restaurant somewhere, eating a bacon cheeseburger. With extra bacon.

Heather Anna said...

Awesome! I didn't know you got to go. So very cool.