So, when I was seven and we went to Utah for Thanksgiving with Grandma Gale, I tore a wishbone with my cousin Amber, and I won.
This meant I got a wish, and I was ready. I'd been ready my whole life, practically. I wished to be......
A princess.
This, of course, meant a fluffy pink dress, (think Glenda the good witch, only a darker pink) tiara, and wand. Supreme executive power wasn't really a concern for me; it was mainly the super kickin' threads and mystical powers I was concerned with.
As I climbed into bed that night, I imagined what it would feel like, being a princess. I pictured myself in the dress. I could feel the pink tulle, that wasn't itchy at all like the tutu I wore for Halloween in kindergarten, because this was magical tulle. I clutched my fingers around the imaginary wand, and pondered what my first magical act would be.
When I woke up, I wasn't different at all. No pink dress, no wand. No tiara. Just me, in my jammies. Resigned to life as a commoner, I went out for breakfast. Grandma made me toast with peanut butter and marshmallow fluff, and I forgot my disappointment.
Tonight in the cab on our way home, I recounted my tale for Paul. I'm sure he's heard the story at least ten times by now, but he listened like it was brand new and said really soft like something kinda sweet and mushy about there being other ways to be a princess that didn't involve the extravagant attire.
Huh. More than one way to be a princess.
I actually don't wish the princess wish anymore. Well, not without some serious wardrobe modifications, and I'm not sure what the rules are on wishes like that. I mean, once it's out there, it's out there, and I don't know if an addendum can be made.
Sometimes, though, I wish to wake up a mother.
I'm not even asking for the fluffy pink dress, wand and tiara. I know it's work. I know it's hard.
I always say I believe that Heavenly Father has a plan for my life. That He knows best, that all will work out for my good. That I will, someday, be a mother.
Do I, though? Do I behave the way I say I believe?
Lately, I have been more and more consumed by fear.
Fear that I won't ever become a mother.
Fear that I will become a mother BECAUSE WHAT ON EARTH AM I GOING TO DO???? I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!!!!
With all that fear, I guess I sort of forgot about faith. The fear just felt so comfortable, you know? I must be afraid for a reason, right?
The other day Miggs told me about when she went cliff jumping, and how she got to the top and was completely terrified. The only thing that got her to jump was seeing all the other people who jumped coming up out of the water, all okay and not dead.
I've been thinking about that, about letting go and believing. Believing that Christ did what I believe He did. That I can let this fear, this sorrow, this pain, go. Believing I can rejoice along with the women becoming mothers, even though my turn hasn't come yet.
Maybe that's a way I can be a mother, right now. Even though it doesn't look quite as I imagined it would.
Tonight, I will lie in bed, and imagine what this will feel like. I'll imagine sadness just sliding off me, feel that slow sweet spreading of joy.
I'll imagine waking up in the morning, waking and feeling that I am exactly as I am meant to be.
16 comments:
Oh Andrea! I hope we can talk soon. You are awesome in every way and I know the Lord has great things in store for you. Despite the economic and political turmoil around, I have a good feeling about next year, both for you and us. Like Miggs said, it comforts me to read stories of people coming out the other side of the particular trial I'm facing now. It at least can give us the strength to keep on going, even though we're not happy about it.
You're one smart girl to learn these things about yourself so early in life. I'm glad you know you're being watched over...
ellen- good feeling, huh? AWESOME!! Also I miss you like the dickens.
andersons- thanks for the comment! say hi to those awesomely cute kids for me....
I am driving to our dear hometown today, and I will call you on the way. I'm not actually driving, I am being driven by my husband, of course. Anyway, I will call you.
You are an amazing woman, and you will be an outstanding mother, whenever that joyful day comes. People like you and Paul were put on this earth to raise the great parts of the next generation, and I know you'll get your turn. Love you!
Also, I read a quote by Elder Packer, basically saying that through all his years of General Authority-ness, he had never seen fear in any of the meetings of the Quorum of the Twelve and First Presidency. He had seen sadness, concern, disappointment, but never fear. He went on to explain that fear has no place in our hearts, that faith alone should be there. I try to remember that whenever fear takes over. No fear, just faith. We are all being taken care of better than we could ever comprehend. And that means you, too, my dear!
Andrea, you will be a mother and Paul a father. And you will be wonderful. I, too, believe that there is a Divine Plan: things happen for a reason. Unfortunately, we don't know what His plan is. We do know that it exists.
You are on your way to mom-hood--papers are filed and prayers are being said. You and Paul are just taking a different yet well-traveled path to parenthood. I, myself, cannot wait.
I so remember that experience! I was on the other side of that wishbone...facing the disappointment of not being able to make a wish...but so excited for you being able to make that wish. I am still here...on the other side of that bone, wishing and hoping for you. I know you hear it a lot, but you WILL be amazing at whatever you do, in the meantime there is school, and your biggest kid you will ever have...Paul to fill your time!LOL! BTW, it is so hard to wait for those wishes to come true...isn't it?!
I sat here for many minutes trying to think of how to respond. I have written and erased my response many times. I know there are millions of things I could say but nothing seems right. I will just write the one thought that ran through my head as I read your post (other than how brilliantly talented you are as a writer)... I love you very much.
redstarmama- love it. that quote by Elder Packer is so fantastic! It reminds me too of the whole Peter walking on the water story, you know? If we look down we're in trouble, but if we keep focused on the eternal, we'll be cool.
mommy2- up with Divine Plans! I like what you said about taking a different path...this makes me think of how easy it is to compare, and how important it is not to.....wise words, mommy2.
jeppson family- nice tie-in! you are always such a wonderful example of faith and bestiness (made up word, I think it'll catch on). I love that you remember the wishbone thing, too!
ryanne- best sister in law in the world, you've always had a gift for saying the right thing in the right way! love you, too!
Oh my heart. I know. I know! How does the fear creep in to convince us that BOTH those possibilities could happen??? Each seems so real at times, overwhelmingly real...I will NEVER be a mother..or..I will be a mother (HOORAY!) but then discover I'm a disaster at it!
In my heart I don't believe either of those things will be what comes to pass, but oh how convincing a picture fear likes to paint!
Hang in there! And maybe hang out with us? :) Yeah?
you are a talented writer. this is beautiful. thank you for sharing your fear and your hope.
You are such an amazing women. I understand and appreciate this post. I always want to be happy for new mothers but a part of me desires it so much that sometimes it is hard. I sure miss you like crazy. I am so excited to see you soon:)
andrea- I like your comment! It helps me see that fear so many times isn't really rational. I really loved the way you put that, about being afraid that both possibilities will happen....
heather anna- I heart you. Thanks for your amazing lesson today!
tamara- I can't wait to see you! Don't you love these character building experiences? Sometimes I think....no, that's okay. I've got enough character for now....
Thanks for being so wonderful, always!
i sent an email regarding your babysitting offer, but haven't heard back. then i wondered if i have the right email, so thought i'd give this a try. let me know how to contact you. :)
Andrea, this is such a great post! You are amazing. I have to comment on your, "What in the world am I doing?!?" part though.
YOU ARE A NATURAL!
I remember thinking just that when I watched you hold Lily at Enrichment last month. You seriously are a natural. I'm sure of it. And you will be a wonderful, loving, and incredible mother. The kids coming to your family are so lucky!
Dearest Andrea! I was listening to John Bytheway this morning, and he quoted one of the twelve (i think Holland...) and he said that no challenge comes to us wasted, each brings us closer to God by purifying, enriching and strengthening our souls - especially if we endure them with patience.
I agree with everyone else Andrea, you will be a fantastic, always exciting mother! Your children will always wonder at your loving heart and joyful countenance and will forever call you angel. You have a infectious joy that warms all around you, it will warm your children too. :)
kaedi- thankyouthankyouthankyou!!! i needed a little pick me up, and yours made my day!
roxanne- man, i heart you. thanks so much for your comment! i love john bytheway, and Elder Holland, and that idea of our trials being consecrated for our good is such a comforting thing...love it!
Post a Comment