Sunday, November 9, 2008

i heart hockey

So, remember when I didn't like hockey because of all the violence and brutality?

Did I mention I also think it's awesome?

Probably not, because I didn't know until Friday, when a couple of our greatgreat friends took us to the Princeton-Cornell hockey game, JUST HOW MIND BLOWINGLY SA-WEET it is.

Mind you, this whole hockey love thing came as a complete shock to me. I mean, when P-Dog watches football, sure I might look like I'm paying attention, but actually I'm picking out the names of our future children. Live baseball games are fun as long as I have someone there for me to share my innermost thoughts and feelings with, and golf is completely delightful if I want a nap. Those announcer people have the most soothing voices.....

So, I had no plans whatsoever to actually watch the hockey game.

Until we entered the rink, and I was overcome with this feeling of.....dare I say....excitement? Yes! I think it was excitement! And know what? All that violence and brutality I've always associated with hockey actually makes for a very entertaining live game.

Also, hockey has the BEST sports jargon. You may ask, how do I know this, seeing as I am the one napping during golf. I am not offended. I know this because I totally just googled hockey terms and came up with a whole list of them and thought.......

ANOTHER REASON I LOVE HOCKEY!!!!!

Biscuit in the basket? Guess what that means?? Go ahead, guess!! It means scoring a goal!! Tell me that's not adorable.

Deke- This means fooling an opponent to move out of position. I think this would also make an excellent celebrity baby name.

Meat wagon- a player whose only skill is fighting. Um.......HILARIOUS. I'm putting this on my list of favorite insults that I will use only in jest because I'm not about hurting feelings.

Sin bin- the penalty box. Parents, I would submit this as an excellent title for the little one's time-out location. "Deke, you're being a meat wagon. Time to go to the sin bin."

I'll tell you what- if loving a sport for its silly jargon and fast paced brutality is wrong, well, I don't want to be right.

12 comments:

Miggy said...

Oh Sister Boreum...I'm totally laughing.

redstarmama said...

You have totally expanded my parental vocabulary. Fortunately it isn't much of a stretch from Declan to Deke, and meat wagon and sin bin will now be part of our family forever. Awesome.

Andrea said...

Very educational. Very educational indeed. Are we going to have to have a meat match to decide which Andrea gets to name her yet unborn son "Deke"? Flag pole?

andrea gale said...

miggy- dude, I totally owe hockey an apology.

redstarmama- I can't wait to visit you and view the sin bin for myself. Yessss.

andrea- it's on. one meat wagon against another.

Ryanne said...

Wow! I am going to have to try that one out. I haven't felt the love yet...

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

I like a good punch in the face. And chocolate. That's good too.

mommy2 said...

There's an old saying... Went to a fight and a hockey came broke out.

Love the story. Not too crazy about hockey myself, yet with jargon like that... who knows.

I still crack me up with the football terms... backfield in motion, pass, reverse play, illegal motion...

The Jeppson Family said...

Sin Bin...opens up a whole new world. I am going to have a sign made for you to hang over your own little sin bin! hee hee!

andrea gale said...

ryanne- i wonder if i liked it so much because it was a college game? would i feel the same way about professional hockey? i wonder.

meridth- yeah, i think i maybe like chocolate better than hockey. also better than a punch in the face, although that depends on whether or not it's my face.....

mommy2- special teams!

jeppsons- my own sign for my very own sin bin? genius!!!

Debbie said...

HAHA Oh Andrea, you are SUCH a gifted writer. I LOVED it. THANK YOU! You made my day. Can you get your mother to write me her witty fun comments she would put on a blog if she had one?
Love you all,
Deb

andrea gale said...

He he, I will definitely tell mom.

Jennifer said...

You are too funny! I love Hockey. Isn't it awesome. I love the fast pace of it and the fights. Lee tooks me to a hockey game on our first date, and it was love at first site, both ways! Go Kings! I'm going to start putting my kids in the sin bin, when they miss behave.