My skin is currently experiencing a mid-life crisis. I hadn't thought that nearing thirty was any big deal (it is the new twenty, after all) but apparently my skin feels otherwise, and in a last ditch effort to re-capture my long lost youth, it has decided to break out slightly more than normal. Okay, a lot more than normal. My chin looks like a war-zone. While I obviously would have preferred my skin to do something more prosaic, like buy a new sports car, or start busting out some new slang terms, I must deal with the crisis at hand, and as I looked in the mirror this morning I thought "hmmm. I don't think I've had this many pimples since I was twelve......hmmmm, twelve......." and then I had this flashback to where I was twelve.
When I was twelve, I weighed in at about 90 pounds, soaking wet and with clothes on. I was a big milk drinker, firmly believing what the milk commercials had told me: "Billy might not like me now, but I'm drinking my milk......", and just waiting for my chestal area to fill out. It never happened. Anyhoo. In my journal I would catelogue my feelings about life, thoughts on the classics, and muse over my future occupation.......okay, so that's kind of not all true. I really did have some fairly deep thoughts, but mostly I talked about boys, and how I really wished I looked like Judy Garland (see below paragraph: I was REALLY into old musicals.). An actual entry in my journal: "I have made up my mind to be as glamorous as possible." Yikes.
I had two great loves: candy, and old musicals. I would save up my babysitting money, walk to Albertson's to buy a box of Froot Loops and some Snickers bars, and hop over to the video store to rent Meet Me in St. Louis, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Summer Stock......you name it, I rented it. I would then try to rope my brothers into watching them with me. ("No, this is a really good movie!! It's, uh, got some fighting in it! I know you'll like it.") I was largely unsuccessful. Also, I had a really big crush on Gene Kelly.
Three life altering events took place the year I turned twelve: I was allowed to wear makeup (yessss!!!) I was allowed to get my ears pierced (double yesssss!!!) and my period started, which as we all know is not really that much fun, but my mom did buy me a new purse, and I finally got to bust out that starter kit I got in the fourth grade after my mom and I watched that video with the rest of my class that had the girl from Annie.
Ahhhhh, good times. I've enjoyed this trip down memory lane, but I'm pretty happy that I'm not twelve anymore. Being twenty-eight has some perks: seeing as I have a job that pays quite a bit more than previous baby-sitting gigs, I can now afford to buy a LOT of Snickers bars (yessss!!), and I'm married (quadruple yessssss!!!!), and Paul could TOTALLY kick Gene Kelly's trash. Gene really could tap, though.
Also, about wanting to look like Judy Garland.....yeah, that was before I found out about all the drugs and stuff. Then I decided I wanted to look like Vera Ellen . She didn't do drugs, did she?
10 comments:
my skin. is doing. the SAME THING. ugh.
If it's any consolation I really haven't noticed...I don't think it's as bad as you think. Now I know you're thinking "oh great--she hasn't noticed? that means she thinks I ALWAYS look terrible!"--but it's not true. You look fabulous. You're a rock star. Rock on.
I think that you look amazing...what does Claudio say? I feel your pain, my face always feels like I am a teenager. Anytime you want a day of eating snickers and watching old musicals...I am in. Seriously:)
Interesting post! Random thoughts:
1. My skin has been perpetually pimple-ridden since I was 13 - I've been on Accutane 3 times! My mom has acne AND wrinkles, so I have that to look forward to.
2. You look beautiful!
3. I totally was affected by that milk commercial too. I wanted to be the grown up girl so bad.
4. I wished I was a lot of people, but I always thought Judy Garland was not very attractive. I can't believe you saw Summer Stock too! Gene Kelly is hot and I think would give Paul a run for his money in a fight or dance off.
5. I don't think Vera Ellen did drugs, but she had to have anorexia.
I totally remember the obsession with old musicals. I think when we came to stay with you guys once you read the play Carousel to me and Amber before we went to bed. Even though the obsession did not pass to your brothers, if it is any consolation you did pass it to me and your right Gene Kelly is gorgous.
Gene Hackman is the real hottie. Lex Luthor was the most attractive villain ever. Not sure if he could tap dance though. And lets be honest, I'm pretty sure that Paul could take Hackman, and/or Kelly, one at a time, or 2 against one. He would break them both in half and tap dance on their entrails.
I would really (and I mean REALLY) love to see Paul involved in a dance off of any kind. Gene Kelly would only enhance the situation. And I spent quite a bit of time with you when we were twelve, and I remember musicals waaaay more than any pimples. You totally introduced me to Phantom and Les Mis, for which I thank you.
I think I weighed les than you when I was 12. (A whopping 85 pounds at 5 foot seven. It was a sight to behold.) I totally want Vera Ellen's legs and the ability to dance.
PS. Love musicals, especially Meet Me in St. Louis.
This post completely made my day. Thank you! I forgive you for not wanting to be seen in public yesterday, I also needed a day to hide out in my apartment due to several large blemishes on my face.
I totally remember watching "King and I" at one of your birthday parties. I thought it was amazing you knew ALL the lines! :-)
Post a Comment