Wednesday, October 14, 2009

the beautiful logic of husbands

Hey, guys.

Long time no blog.

I swear I have a really good reason.

Well, maybe not.

It's just that I started at Columbia last month, and I've been so busy buying tweed and going to protests and writing really long papers about things that I in no way understand that I kind of slipped on this whole blogging thing.

Everything is different now, though. For reals. Seriously. I, Andrea Boerem, solemnly promise to no longer neglect my blog no matter how much I might need tweed. (mental note: need for tweed. Work this into a conversation somehow.)

I actually should be doing homework right now, but my brain was overheating and also guess what happened this morning:

So, my sister got into town this morning, and since I'd like my sister to think that I'm a reasonably clean person, I took it upon myself last night to thoroughly clean our apartment. And Paul helped.

Paul knows how stressed out I can get about cleanliness when people come over. I think it's because while I have learned how to be a clean person, I am not naturally a clean person. I'm kind of like an addict, a mess junky living one day to the next just hoping I don't wake up in the middle of a pile of Ben and Jerry's containers.

So, last night when I was buzzing from room to room shouting things like WE SHOULD REALLY CALL THE SUPER ABOUT THE CRUMBLING WALL IN OUR CLOSET and I'M JUST GOING TO PAINT THE WINDOWSILL REALLY FAST, Paul sweetly ignored my panicked rants and did the dishes. He knows how I hate a dirty sink.

Which is why when Miriam got in this morning and I offered her a bowl of cereal, I was rather amused to find, sitting in the refrigerator in front of the milk carton, an empty (but dirty) Tupperware container.

I pulled it out. Paul finished the pork, I said. And he stuck the container back in the fridge. Nice one, Paul. And Miriam and I shared a laugh. Oh, husbands. And then I realized: Paul stuck it back in the fridge because he knew how mad I'd be to see a dirty dish sitting in the sink.

And I was so touched by his thoughtful gesture that the fact he stuck a dirty food receptacle in our refrigerator was in no way annoying.

When Paul woke up, I teased him. You couldn't wash a dish, I asked.

Well, I was tired, Paul said. It's just I knew how mad you'd be if you saw it in the sink.

The logic of husbands. I kind of love it.

10 comments:

nyc_ransoms said...

LOL- very thoughtful in his own special way.

redstarmama said...

Have fun with Miriam! I am overcome with jealousy that she's there and I'm not!

Miriam Herm said...

And THAT my friends is why marriage is so hard. HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO COMMUNICATE WITH MEN WHEN THEIR LOGIC IS SO WEIRD??

and why does no one have the answer to that question?

Andersons said...

Okay, don't start a protest or anything, but I think that's the most thoughtful thing ever! Props to Paul.

Justin said...

That is fantastic logic. Paul is smart enough to know what he would be dealing with. Even smarter would have been to leave a little pork in there and when you asked,"Why didn't you just finish it and clean it?" I would have said, "I thought I would leave you the last fo it to enjoy." That way not actually an empty dirty dish but rather another meal saved for the future.

Justin said...

Oh and I need a whole meal that is centered around cheese... I think the only place to find that is found in New York. That was a good time and didn't produce any dirty dishes in your sink.

Abbie said...

I found you through Miggy, don't think I'm creepy.

Andrea, you make me laugh. We need to be friends in real life. I keep hearing how great you are, but all the talking we've done is, "here's Eli's snack container. Remember he's allergic to everything."

So, let's be real life friends, deal?

PS Eli has been singing 5 little monkeys swinging in the tree all week. Are you responsible? Thank you! It's very cute!

mommy2 said...

ok, so I'm just getting around to reading your blog. And THANK YOU for writing. I miss it.
As for Paul. He also did that with milk cartons... where was the logic in that? Just throw it away?--I was saving the last for your coffee mommy...then those puppy dog eyes. I'm a sucker as well.

Miriam said...

For what it's worth I think that you are a more than reasonably clean person! And also I had so much fun in New York!!!!

andrea gale said...

nyc ransoms- great to hear from you!

redstarmama- i miss you. how about you maybe move Aptos to NYC? i don't think it should be too hard.

miriam- i know! hey, i heard there's this wizard you can ask, except for he's super far away and you have to travel by cyclone. also the word on the stree is he's pretty much just a talking head. so maybe nevermind.

andersons- okay, okay. no protesting. yay for paul!

justin- you guys really need to come back. paul can't stop crying. it's getting embarrassing to take him out in public.

abbie! yay! yippee! yes, yes, i accept your friend invite times a hundred! i wish i could take credit for eli's singing. that's pretty adorable, dude.

mommy2- your boy is really cute. i like him. a lot.

miriam- yay, miriam! want to come back to new york? also you're the best sister ever times infinity there i win!