Guess what?
I'm assertive now.
Uh huh. Didn't think I had it in me, did you?
Well, I did.
There comes a time in every passive girl's life when she must decide: is she a mouse, or is she....not a mouse. Because mice are generally not all that assertive, I take it. Also, they can't even talk, so if the mouse wanted to be assertive I think it would have a rather difficult time.
Well, I am NOT a mouse.
I was on my way home from work, minding my passive business, all ready to swipe my metrocard when my spidey-sense told me there was a tourist kid in front of me who needed help with his metrocard.
Swipe, THWACK. Swipe, THWACK. Swipe, THWACK.
It's always a little embarrassing when you get stopped by the turnstiles. Now, being the passive person I am, normally I would have been quite content to stand behind him as he swiped incorrectly for a good long time, cheering him on, or I would have maybe hopped lines, but yesterday was different.
"You have to watch the little screen. It will tell you if it worked."
Didn't register. Swipe, THWACK.
I grabbed the metrocard, swiped it, returned it to the hand of my greasy-haired buddy.
"Uh, thanks."
I swiped my card, walked through, and then I chuckled.
That was awesome. I'm so assertive now.
7 comments:
Thank goodness this assertiveness has arrived in time for my visit. I can't wait to watch you in action, Superwoman. And I am going to call you today, so we can PLAN!!! YAY!!!
Congrats!!! Always knew you had it in you.
Wow, that's pretty good, but you still have a long way to go. The correct amount of assertiveness requires you to take the card and run.
way to go!!
Now I know that my wife is in good hands while she is in NY. Please... please... please send her back unharmed.
You are becoming a true New Yorker. Way to take charge.
So assertive! I have found there are two types of assertiveness- regular assertiveness and NYC style assertiveness. I would qualify a NYC style assertiveness as one that involves expletives, unwanted opinion, invasion of personal space, or all of the above. I hope you remain in the regular assertiveness category- it is much more lady-like. :o)
(Heck yes I just ended my comment with a happy face!)
Post a Comment